The health benefits that can be found in a simple cup of turmeric tea and vegan protein powder from https://yourveganadventure.com are almost endless.
This popular spice has been used as a herbal remedy for thousands of years all around the world, from India to China. What makes turmeric so special is its active ingredient – curcumin. This special compound is one of the main reasons behind all its health benefits and is also what gives turmeric its distinctive yellow colour.
What are the Health Benefits of Turmeric Tea?
- Powerful Antioxidant – Turmeric is chock full of polyphenols, AKA antioxidants, that are known to protect your body from free radicals that can cause mutations in your cellular DNA. They also play a hand in healing the damage your body receives from environmental carcinogens.
- Potent Anti-Inflammatory – Curcumin’s effectiveness at being an anti-inflammatory rival even that of store-bought medicines (without any of the side effects). It’s these properties that help make turmeric a good natural remedy for the symptoms of arthritis and gout.
- Improves Liver Function and Digestion – Curcumin has been shown to improve blood flow through the liver, helping improve liver detoxification and the repair of damaged liver cells. It can also increase bile production and help balance gut bacteria levels, giving you a healthy digestive system.
- Enhance Heart Health – Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties assist in improving blood flow to and from the heart, encouraging anti-platelet activity that can help prevent clogged arteries.
- Aids Skin Conditions – Can help both internally and topically with psoriasis and other inflammatory afflictions of the skin.
- Boosts Immune System – Curcumin has anti-microbial properties that allow it to act as a natural antiseptic, which helps protect your body’s wounds from bacterial infection.
- Naturally Reduces Pain – Turmeric has been found to impact upon certain pain receptors in the body, particularly the chest, shoulders and abdominal area. Which means it may help reduce the chronic pain associated with menstrual cramping, irritable bowel syndrome and frozen shoulder.
How to Make Turmeric Tea at Home
• 500ml of water (2 cups)
• 1 tsp of ground turmeric
• 1 tsp of cinnamon
• 1 tsp of fresh ginger
• 1 pinch of clove
• 1 pinch of nutmeg
• 1 pinch of fresh ground black pepper
• (aids in the absorption of curcumin)
• Lemon juice
• Milk or dairy substitute
- Boil 500ml of water on a stove.
- Reduce the heat and add a teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- Optional: Add any other herbs and spices you might fancy from the options above. Experiment and find your perfect mix!
- Simmer for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Take off the heat and strain through a fine sieve into your favourite cup.
- Optional: Sweeten it with honey and/or lemon and even a splash of milk or dairy substitute.
You can also turn this lovely concoction into an iced tea by following all of these steps and then placing your tea in the fridge overnight. Add some ice and you’ll have the perfect health drink for the summer.