Despite making a resolution to work out more in the New Year, I’m still making excuse after excuse to skip that regular extra bit of exercise. My schedule is too busy or the gym is too crowded are likely my most common winter moans. However, the love for my dog does get me out each and every day and I do try to push myself to walk further or to seek out hills to power walk up.
Once I get going I really enjoy being outside and having to move to stay warm…….. and anyway, there are some serious benefits to working out in colder weather (unless it’s torrential rain or artic conditions!).
The Benefits of Cold-Weather Exercise
Working out during the winter months can have a positive impact on your overall health and well-being.
- Endorphins and lots of them. You can get those endorphins flowing no matter what the weather is outside, but admit it, we could use that feel good factor the most during the dreary winter months. So break out of those winter blues & get your body moving and give your mood a boost.
- Vitamin D. Enjoy some time in the winter sun and give your body a much-needed boost of nutrients (being sure to keep your skin protected with Clarins UV Plus SPF 50 which not only leaves skin feeling soft and hydrated but also creates an invisible shield against environmental aggressors and protects skin against UVA and UVB damage).
- Burn those calories. Your body has to work harder to regulate its core temperature as it battles with the cooler conditions, meaning that your calorie burn will likely experience a slight increase in comparison to an indoor or warmer weather workout.
Tips for a Winter Workout
Whether you’re walking around the block or opting for something slightly more intense, make sure you’re getting the most out of your workout with the tips below.
- Layer it up. Dropping temperatures and blustering winds may seem like a good reason to put on the heaviest pieces of clothing you own. But working out leads to sweat, sweat leads to wet clothing, and wet clothing in cold weather leads to chills. Instead, opt for a light base layer that wicks sweat away from your body, and an outermost layer that blocks both wind and wetness.
- Protect and hydrate skin. Just like your workout clothing needs special consideration over the winter months, so does your skin; apply a moisturizer like Clarins Hydra Quench Cream. It’s light and silky, smooth to apply and feather-light on the skin, but rapidly absorbed, this cream refreshes and hydrates.
- Warm up. Getting your body ready for any form of exercise is always a crucial step, but this is especially important when the temperatures outside aren’t exactly balmy. Before journeying out into the cold, run in place for a few minutes to get your blood flowing and muscles ready for the chilly task ahead.
- Drink more water. When summer heat isn’t there to remind you just how thirsty you are, it’s easy to overlook the need to keep your body hydrated. Staying hydrated in the winter is just as important as in the summer, especially when doing any form of physical exercise.
But most of all – enjoy yourself
Read More >>
I thought I would remind you of the importance of using sunscreen, particularly as we have just had our first few ‘sunbathing’ days of the year. Whilst we all know about protecting our skin, I am still tempted to get a tan and sit baking in the sun to achieve my goal – but now I am ‘getting on’, I really do regret the years of lying in the sun for hours on end just to get temporary colour. While it is important to get some sun exposure during off-peak hours for health reasons, you can still achieve a golden tan while preserving the long term health & beauty of your skin. All skin tones are vulnerable to sun damage from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. So applying sunscreen at the start of your day should be as automatic as combing your hair. To provide colour to pale skin, try tinted moisturisers or self tanning lotion
Makeup services in Oxton & Wirral
At Anne Roberts the false tan we all love is He-Shi – an award winning, professional tanning brand that is quick and easy to use and delivers a beautiful, flawless, golden tan every time. Loved by beauty editors and used by celebrities.
Single full body tan £18 or but 2 for just £30.
Avoid going out without sunscreen or a hat during the peak hours of 10AM to 3PM, because in addition to the risk of skin cancer, UV radiation (whether from the sun or from a sunbed) can also cause the following:
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Dry, rough, leathery skin
- Broken capillaries on the face
- Liver spots on the face, back of hands, arms, chest and upper back
- Spots or blemishes on the lower legs and arms
So be sure to protect yourself when going outside, whatever the weather.
Clarins -Wrinkle Control Cream For Face
High Protection UVB/UVA 30 £20
Ideal protection for sun-sensitive skin or skin exposed to intense sunlight. Combining efficacy with the most incredible texture, this suncreen lotion protects against dehydration as well as helping to prevent the visible signs of premature skin ageing.
Don’t forget your hands when applying sunscreen; hands are often one of the first parts of the body that show age since they get more exposure to the sun than other parts of the body. Be sure to protect them daily with a UVA/UVB sunscreen and reapply throughout the day. When it comes to sunglasses, most people think of appearance. Eyes need protection too. Sunglasses protect your eyes and the skin around them from sun damage and reduce the risk of cataracts. They also protect the tender skin around your eyes from sun exposure. What’s the right protection? Lenses that offer 99-100 percent UVA and UVB protection. Wraparound sunglasses work best because they also block UV rays from the side.
Read More >>
The party season is in full swing. We all tend to overdo it at this time of the year and this can have disastrous effects on our skin, so here are some beauty ideas that may come to your rescue.
The best base for any make up is lovely skin. The most important thing about skin is to keep it looking fresh, alive and bright in appearance. After that you can dress your skin up or down with makeup products, from natural through to a Hollywood glamour look. Look after your skin all year round by drinking plenty of water and not completely avoiding fat. Eating foods such as nuts, which have oil in them, will add vitamin E to your diet that is great for your skin. Lastly, treat your skin as a delicate canvas and always cleanse off your make up before going to bed.
The following are a selection of products that I would choose for myself. Alternatively, I would love to receive any of these as a gift.
My top beauty item is Clarin’s Beauty Flash Balm. I consider it a ’must have’ item in my make up bag for the party season. Despite the fact that it has been around for 30 years, it is a reliable cream that still works for me and gives radiance and skin glow that can take ten years off your face. This exceptional beauty booster immediately eliminates signs of fatigue. It promotes a radiant complexion and long-lasting, incredibly luminous makeup. The ideal treatment before a busy day or an evening out. Beauty Flash Balm brightens, tightens, smoothes and revives every complexion, in an instant. £29.00
Another fabulous find is Cailyn Cosmetics ‘O! Wow Brush’ make-up brush! Through its velvet-like bristles and densely packed ultra fine fibers, this amazing brush is made to ensure an airbrushed effect, with an immaculate streak-free touch. This brush features a dome, angular shaped surface that is beautifully crafted to blend foundation, powder, cream, moisturizer and primers seamlessly into your skin.
Compatible with any type of foundation, BB Cream, powder and blush. A great gift or stocking filler. £20
And last but by no means least the gorgeous Mauli Himalayan Healing Salts. Infused with 13 therapeutic oils, laced with powdered rose quartz to bring wellbeing, clarity and calm in an overly-stimulated world. Mauli’s multi-layered blend combines the unique vibrational energy of Himalayan pink salts (which contain 84 of the 92 trace minerals found in the body), infused with 13 exquisite therapeutic oils, laced with soothing powdered rose quartz crystals to bring a sense of wellbeing, clarity and calm in an overly stimulated world. Use these once or twice a week so mind and body can feel beautifully balanced. Place a handful of salts (approx 50g) into running water and immerse yourself for 15-20 minutes to allow the healing elements time to absorb. Leave the bath without rinsing, wrap yourself in a towel and drink plenty of water to rehydrate. Then just sit back and relax. £39
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family, a merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2016.
Read More >>
Read More >>
The amount of sleep each person needs depends on many factors, including age. Infants generally require about 16 hours per day, while teenagers need about 9 hours on average. For most adults, 7-8 hours a night appears to be the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 5 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each night. The amount of sleep a person needs also increases if he or she has been deprived of sleep in previous days. Getting too little sleep creates a “sleep debt,” which is much like being overdrawn at the bank. Eventually, your body will demand that the debt be repaid. We don’t seem to adapt to getting less sleep than we need; while we may get used to a sleep-depriving schedule, our judgment, reaction time, and other functions are still impaired.
A healthy sleep schedule is a must for optimal health and gorgeous skin. During deep sleep, many of the body’s cells show increased production and reduced breakdown of proteins. Since proteins are the building blocks needed for cell growth and for repair of damage from factors like stress and UV rays, deep sleep may truly be “beauty sleep”.
So during hectic summer schedules, be sure to get plenty of sleep, your skin will thank you for it!
Alcohol use takes a particularly heavy toll on women, which is why lower levels of drinking are recommended for women than for men.
Women are at a greater risk than men for developing alcohol-related problems. If you were not motivated to quit or reduce your intake before, consider this simple fact:
Read More >>