Despite making a resolution to work out more in the New Year, I’m still making excuse after excuse to skip that regular extra bit of exercise. My schedule is too busy or the gym is too crowded are likely my most common winter moans. However, the love for my dog does get me out each and every day and I do try to push myself to walk further or to seek out hills to power walk up.
Once I get going I really enjoy being outside and having to move to stay warm…….. and anyway, there are some serious benefits to working out in colder weather (unless it’s torrential rain or artic conditions!).
The Benefits of Cold-Weather Exercise
Working out during the winter months can have a positive impact on your overall health and well-being.
- Endorphins and lots of them. You can get those endorphins flowing no matter what the weather is outside, but admit it, we could use that feel good factor the most during the dreary winter months. So break out of those winter blues & get your body moving and give your mood a boost.
- Vitamin D. Enjoy some time in the winter sun and give your body a much-needed boost of nutrients (being sure to keep your skin protected with Clarins UV Plus SPF 50 which not only leaves skin feeling soft and hydrated but also creates an invisible shield against environmental aggressors and protects skin against UVA and UVB damage).
- Burn those calories. Your body has to work harder to regulate its core temperature as it battles with the cooler conditions, meaning that your calorie burn will likely experience a slight increase in comparison to an indoor or warmer weather workout.
Tips for a Winter Workout
Whether you’re walking around the block or opting for something slightly more intense, make sure you’re getting the most out of your workout with the tips below.
- Layer it up. Dropping temperatures and blustering winds may seem like a good reason to put on the heaviest pieces of clothing you own. But working out leads to sweat, sweat leads to wet clothing, and wet clothing in cold weather leads to chills. Instead, opt for a light base layer that wicks sweat away from your body, and an outermost layer that blocks both wind and wetness.
- Protect and hydrate skin. Just like your workout clothing needs special consideration over the winter months, so does your skin; apply a moisturizer like Clarins Hydra Quench Cream. It’s light and silky, smooth to apply and feather-light on the skin, but rapidly absorbed, this cream refreshes and hydrates.
- Warm up. Getting your body ready for any form of exercise is always a crucial step, but this is especially important when the temperatures outside aren’t exactly balmy. Before journeying out into the cold, run in place for a few minutes to get your blood flowing and muscles ready for the chilly task ahead.
- Drink more water. When summer heat isn’t there to remind you just how thirsty you are, it’s easy to overlook the need to keep your body hydrated. Staying hydrated in the winter is just as important as in the summer, especially when doing any form of physical exercise.
But most of all – enjoy yourselfRead More >>